Essential Information

What is a Chemical Dependency Evaluation?

A Chemical Dependency Evaluation (commonly referred to as a CD Evaluation, Chemical Health Evaluation, or Rule 25 Assessment) is an interview conducted by a qualified evaluator. The Chemical Dependency evaluator asks numerous questions about your history of alcohol and drug use and what, if any, consequences your use has caused. Following the Evaluation, you will receive a “Recommendation Letter,” which may recommend outpatient drug treatment or inpatient rehab where you would reside at for several weeks and attend intensive therapy each day.

How does the Recommendation Impact Me?

Chemical Dependency Evaluations typically have a long-lasting impact. In the short term, you may be asked to take time away from your life, family, and job to attend treatment. In the longer term, if you have a drinking and driving (WWI / DUI) or other alcohol- or drug- related charge, judges and community correction agents expect you to follow through with everything contained within the recommendation letter and will mold your supervision around the Chemical Dependency Evaluation recommendation. For example, if the recommendation states “abstain from alcohol use and submit to drug testing,” you are expected to follow the recommendation for the duration of your 1-, 3-, 5-, 10-, or 15-year probation period and are often required to pay out-of-pocket for drug testing expenses for the duration of your probation.

How do I Ensure an Assessor includes what I want, or do not want, into the recommendation?

Your best option to get the most appropriate recommendation – and where your voice is heard - is to schedule an assessment with a “Private Assessor” who is unaffiliated with a treatment center or a governmental agency. All too often, individuals call their local treatment center for an assessment and are recommended, through bias, outpatient or inpatient treatment at that center. These recommendations can be excessive, inappropriate, and ineffective. Make sure you hire a neutral private assessor for your Chemical Dependency Evaluation.

Who are the best Private Evaluators?

Medical professions with advanced education on addictive disorders and addiction treatment. Many MN evaluators have no more formal education than a high school diploma, which is a serious concern.

Michael (1-612-249-3656) graduated from Harvard, where he studied and researched addictive disorders. He is not only an expert in the best available addiction treatment in Minnesota, but he will listen, and incorporate, your wants and needs into the recommendation.

Michael is a client-centered private assessor who is unaffiliate with treatment centers, therefore, he cares about your wishes and what is best for you - not a treatment centers bottom line. He is a Licensed Alcohol and Drug Counselor, has completed hundreds of Chemical Dependency Evaluations, and is fully qualified to complete your Evaluation.

What are my rights?

  • No treatments are mandatory. You are self-governing and the final authority over your own health care.
  • You have the right to a second opinion. You can always seek second opinions if you disagree with previous recommendations.
  • You have the right to a non-biased Chemical Dependency Evaluation that doesn’t lead to pressure for treatment.
  • You have the right to have your Chemical Dependency Evaluation completed quickly before court deadlines. Michael (click to call 1-612-249-3656 now) will always complete your assessment in timely manner, and depending on your situation and needs, the recommendation may consist of anything from simple suggestions to a complex, multicomponent intervention.
  • You have the right to a client-centered assessment, where your wishes are valued.

What are the Parts of the Evaluation?

  • A diagnostic test that screens for substance use disorders (sometimes called alcoholism, drug addiction, substance abuse or chemical dependency)
  • Review of medical, legal, mental health and treatment records
  • A physical health screening
  • A mental health screening
  • Evaluating the need for detox services
  • Interviews with other people in the person's life
  • Review of court paperwork such as DWI or DUI charges

Where do I have to go for my Chemical Dependency Evaluation with Michael?

You have two convenient options: a) meet Michael in his Minneapolis office b) meet at a place that is convenient for you.

Schedule an evaluation at any of the following locations

What if I am in crisis and need immediate help?

Call Michael now @ 1-612-249-3656 for free initial guidance.

SAMHSA’s National Helpline is a free, confidential, 24/7, 365-day-a-year treatment referral and information service (in English and Spanish) for individuals and families facing mental and/or substance use disorders. Call 1-800-662-HELP.

If you are experience alcohol or drug withdrawal symptoms, locate and admit yourself into the nearest "detox center."

Resource List in the Twin Cities